Historic Church Tour #1

October 11, 2006

St. Mary's County, Maryland


    
Rebuilding the history of the Catholic Church in America.

    

A ghost building stands in the field where local lore said the Catholic chapel and other buildings stood as the founding place of the Roman Catholic Church in English America.

Reconstruction of the chapel at St. Mary's City continues after the first brick was relaid on September 24, 2002.  Bricks, mortar and construction methods are being kept as close as possible to what was available almost 350 years ago.

     

 

Lead coffins indicating the final resting place of Philip Calvert, youngest son of George Calvert, 1st Lord Baltimore, Philip's first wife, Anne Wolsey, and an unidentified infant child were discovered within the north arm of the original brick chapel.

The type of pole scaffolding shown is consistant with historical artwork from the time period of the original chapel building. 

  

The steps and platforms of the scaffolding inside the church were tested and declared sturdy.

Members of St. John Vianney, family and friends listen intently as Dr. Martin Sullivan, Executive Director of Historic St. Mary's City, shares the history of Chapel Field and reports on the progress of rebuilding.

   

St. Peter Claver parish in St. Inigoes was established in 1902 when black Catholics separated from St. Michael's in Ridge over a choir disagreement.

Msgr. Brady gives us some of the history of St. Peter Claver Church.

  

The cornerstone of the present church of St. Ignatius of Loyola in St. Inigoes, Maryland was laid on July 13, 1785.

Msgr. Brady prepares the altar for Mass.

     

We listen as Rosa Ortiz reads during the Liturgy of the Word.

Fr. Daly and Msgr. Brady elevate the Body and Blood of Christ, just as has been done for over 200 years in this same church and in countless other churches around the world for 2000 years.

  

 

The bell is rung, signaling that Mass would soon begin.

 

The Maryland Dove, anchored at Historic St. Mary's City, is a replica of one of the ships that brought nearly 150 English settlers to the shores of North America in 1634 in search of religious freedom.

  Photography and Captions by Sharon Seckens

 

St. John Vianney Home Page